Saturday, October 10, 2015

Barefoot Red Blend Trilogy



Was started as a review of Barefoot's Rich Red Blend but I drained two bottles with only a photo and nothing to write about.  My next visit to the store for bottle #3 had me come home with the missing siblings, Rosa Red Blend and Sweet Red.  So I will review them together.

The back label is called "Footnotes."  here they leave a description and a sweetness chart.  Rosa is the sweetest followed by Sweet Red and Rich Red is closer to the dry end of their chart.

In terms of alcohol content Rosa clocks in the lowest at 7.5%, Sweet is 10.5% and Rich beats them all at 13% by volume.

Descriptions.  According to Footnotes, the Rich Blend "is a velvety red blend with bold aromas and flavors of blackberries, blueberries and vanilla.  hints of caramel and oak compliment the smooth  finish."  I found it to be full bodied and smooth.   No boozy taste despite being 13%.  It is a dark purple color.

Rosa Red "is a bright, lively and sweet red blend wine with notes of raspberries and strawberry jam.  Floral notes compliment the sweet lingering finish."  This one put a smile on my face immediately.  A rich pink color and a taste reminiscent of sangria with bubbles on the top that made me wonder if it was still fermenting.  I did not find it overly sweet.  Very well balanced for a "sweet" red.  Screw top for convenience.

Sweet Red "is a smooth and sweet red wine blend with luscious aromas and flavors of black cherry and plum."  Honestly, despite drinking wine on the sweet side and enjoying such I do not care for sweet reds.  Bedhead Red from Jasper Winery is one of the few exceptions.  Unfortunately this was not.  Too sweet.  Mary thought it had a bitter element to it but I did not.  Most likely the plum flavor.

The important thing, taste.  Rosa Red hands down or bottoms up!  It's ace.

2 comments:

  1. I'm new to wine. And looking for a really sweet red wine. What's the best one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, get a red Moscato. Moscatos are sweet, too sweet according to those unhappy folk that drink Chardonays because they cannot handle bourbon. But I find Moscatos to be very well balanced sweet wines. Anything sweeter is a bit too much IMHO. Make sure it is sufficiently chilled before consuming.

      Delete