Monday, October 26, 2015

Yellow Tail Riesling



Starting a white wine dive.  Mary was asking about them.  Other than moscatos I have not brought home very many whites.  Of course on Thanksgiving I will pour a bottle of chardonay into the water bowl of the smoker for the turkey but I will not drink it.  So I set out for whites.  Rieslings are among my favorites.  Just the right amount of sweetness and booziness for a nice drink.

Hoping that the Great Barefoot Sale was still on at my store of choice I was greatly broken hearted to see that the $3.99 special was on South Eastern Australia's Yellow Tail wines of the Casella family.  I've been burned by this brand before but forgot what varietal burnt me.  Cheap enough for another go.  I also hedged my bets with Barefoots Riesling and Malbec for a full body red.

That was Friday.  I do not recall if my first glass was on Friday or Saturday but I remember regretting the purchase immediately.  I did not have any the next day but tonight I decided to finish the bottle.  I let Mary have the first sip tonight.  Immediate frown.

Sweet yet dry.  But a lingering dryness and flat taste.  For people who hate sweet wines they may like this.  I think it may be do to the alcohol content.  The 2013 vintage clocks in at 12%  Barefoot was only 7%.  Tasting the booze not the fruit.  Not enough body to fully support 12%.

Will I purchase this one again?  Unlikely.  Then again it may be good in the smoker for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment