Wednesday, September 2, 2015

A Dry Red From iowa that is Great!! Summerset Winery



Summerset Winery Marechal Foch

I opened up the fridge and there were only two bottles.  A moscato and a pink moscato.  We were having smoked ribs so I desired something less sweet and more full bodied.  I needed a red, a dry red.  Looking into my wine reserve I was disappointed that all the Malbecs were gone.  The Bolla Valpolicella would have to wait for a better occasion.  But the Summerset Marechal Foch was ready.  I gave it a half hour in the fridge before opening.

I purchased this bottle in Windsor Heights, specifically the Hy Vee.  Those that know me also know that I get most of my wine there.  Sample day and a representative from Summerset was there.  Those that know me also understand that I am a sucker for local free samples.  Well, free samples.  Obviously, I tried and liked and bought.  This bottle must have been in my reserve for 2 or 3 months.  Time to uncork.

Iowa has a horrid reputation for dry reds.  Our rich soil and harsh winters are not suitable for most varieties of grapes.  We produce an abundance of sweet wines, both red and white, but finding a world class dry red is a challenge.  I have no desire to search for a dry white as of yet.

As the name implies, the wine is made from a French hybrid named after the famous French Field Marshall who was instrumental in the armistice of World War One.  The grapes are small berry sized and are cold weather hardy which suits Iowa's climate.  I have noticed that other wineries in Iowa use the same grapes.  I will endeavor to try them.

The taste.  Flavorful, dry, no aftertaste, no funky taste, no boozey taste.  I think this wine stands up quite well against cabs, Malbecs and pinot noirs.  I cannot find a fault with it and snotty Californians may enjoy it as well.  I wish they would have put the alcohol content on the label but who cares.  Taste is the standard.  In my opinion there is no better wine from Iowa.  Do yourself a favor and purchase a bottle.

Summerset Wines

Thank you Ron and Linda!!






No comments:

Post a Comment