Sunday, August 18, 2013

Commission Man Red--Ardon Creek



Every now and then I peruse the bargain cart at my local grocery store's booze aisle.  Occasionally there are some winners, sometimes losers, mostly discontinued product but at $5 a throw gamble I am fond of.  The last adventure was a discontinued.  Commision Man Red by Ardon Creek.

Ardon Creek Vineyard and Winery is located in Letts, Iowa, near Muscatine.  Commission Man Red is described as a "dry red wine made from the Noiret" grape with "tastes of green and black pepper with a hint of mint."  The back label tells the story of Irish and German farmers in Iowa seeing their livestock dropped off for stockyards at the railroad and then drinking afterwards at the Stockyard Inn.  Red table wine of 11.5%.  $12.99 from the winery.

I found this wine to be in need of decanting.  A full bodied red and dry.  My first impression was not a good one.  The cork busted in the bottle but only a few small pieces found their way into my glass.  That upset me because I like to save them.  High tannin content and decanting was needed.  But I did not have time for that.  My meal was red meat and I required the antioxidants of a bold red wine to fight the cholesterol I was embarking upon.  If I remember correctly I poured myself a second glass and did not finish it.  Left on the table overnight to decant ghetto style.

Day 2 after "decanting" on the table overnight.  Notice the stain on the glass?  Yes, a thick full bodied red wine.


The next day I finished it off.  Tasted much better.  The bottle was refrigerated overnight as well.  Now chilled the harshness was mostly removed.

Would I purchase CMR again?  Knowing that it needs to be decanted and chilled and that no one in my house would touch it, maybe.  Mary does not go for my deep dark selections.  Perhaps if I was on a bicycle journey and found myself at the Ardon Creek Vineyard and Winery but then again they have a selection to choose from that I'd like to ponder.  Perhaps Ragbrai will be near there sometime.

Ardon Creek Vineyard and Winery

No comments:

Post a Comment