Saturday, January 31, 2015

Sutter Home White Merlot



Let me say this.  I loath Merlot.  Too aged in a barrel tasting.  Dry and nasty.  Dry full body reds are a favorite of mine but I have yet to discover one I like at my usual price range.  So I avoid them unless it is the only wine available or is a Chardonnay is the other choice or something worse like Manischewitz or Thunderbird.  I only picked this bottle up because I was in need to restock sweet chilled wine at home and Sutter Home was still $2.99 at the Windsor Heights Hy Vee.



The first thing I noticed was the cork.  "Enjoy" on top, "cheers" on the bottom.  I smiled because it reminded me of Sutter Home's delicious Red Blend I discovered around Christmas time.

White Merlot is made like White Zinfandel.  Crush the grapes, let the juice contact the skin for a bit and let the pink juice run off and ferment.  This explains the taste.  A medium sweet.  Just a little more of an after taste a tad bit of a jet drier.



Would I purchase it again?  Don't know.  Probably not.  I prefer a White Zinfandel or a Red Moscato.  And if the mood for a sweet wine hits me usually a Moscato attracts me.  Too many choices and this one is not the stand out winner.

In the meantime, cheers!  I will enjoy this bottle while it snows outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment